Interpreter 4-1-1: 5 Tips for Being Successful in an Interpreter Training Program
This article is specifically for Interpreters in Training.
Interpreter Training Programs are both challenging and rewarding. It is really up to the student to make the most of the Interpreter Training Program (ITP). The more passionate and hard working you are, the more rewarding the experience will be.
Think for a moment about your definition of success. What does a successful person do? What does a successful person think? What does a successful person believe? How will you ensure that your time in your Interpreter Training Program is successful? What changes will you need to make?
Here are 5 tips for being successful in an Interpreter Training Program:
1. Set Yourself Up For Success
- Plan your schedule and follow it.
- Set goals and exceed them.
- Control the things you can control.
- Have a good support system.
2. Work Hard
- Always act professionally.
- See challenges to improve.
- Don’t procrastinate.
- Stay focused.
3. Build Relationships
- Get involved in your Sign Language Club.
- Build bridges.
4. Learn and Grow
- Ask questions.
- Accept feedback.
- Face your fears.
- Do positive self-talk.
- Learn from your mistakes.
5. Go Above and Beyond
- Seek as many ah-ha moments as possible.
- Jump at chances for “hands on” opportunities.
- Observe as many different interpreters as you can.
Following these tips will help you make the most of your Interpreter Training Program and be well on the way to becoming a successful interpreter.
Are there other tips you would recommend? Share them in the comments below.