An ASL DictionarySigning Savvy is a sign language dictionary containing several thousand high resolution videos of American Sign Language (ASL) signs, fingerspelled words, and other common signs used within the United States and Canada.
And Much More!Signing Savvy is an ideal resource to use while you learn sign language. It includes the ability to view large sign videos, build your own word lists and share them with others, create virtual flash cards and quizzes, print signs, build sign phrases, ...and more
Sign of the Day - PIE
6 Tips for How Interpreters Can Stay Healthy
Interpreter Tips | Friday, February 26, 2016
We as interpreters are notorious for not taking care of our bodies. We see lots of Repetitive Motion Injury among colleagues. We spend a lot of time in our cars. We may develop unhealthy habits (eating fast food or a lack of exercise). In a profession where the primary focus is other people, we need to keep ourselves healthy.
Here are 6 tips for how Interpreters can stay healthy:
1. Make Priorities
- Learn to say no to things.
- Take time out of your schedule for yourself.
- Use a calendar, such as Google Calendar, to plan ahead.
2. Stay Rested
- Regular sleep. Set a bedtime.
- Take catnaps.
- Take time to clear your head (ex: meditate for 15 minutes).
3. Eat Smarter
- Add more fruits and vegetables to your diet.
- Drink lots of water.
- Pack your lunch.
- Keep healthy snacks in your car or bag.
- Carry a water bottle.
- Take a multi-vitamin daily.
4. Stay Active
- Sign up for an exercise class or a race.
- Go for a walk. Or better yet take your dog for a walk.
- Join a gym.
- Do stretching exercises before you interpret.
5. Be Social
- Keep in touch with friends.
- Meet a friend for coffee (or a smoothie) every week.
- Spend time with family.
6. Be Mindful
- Read for pleasure.
- Listen to music.
- Keep a journal.
- Volunteer somewhere, anywhere.
We regularly help others as part of our job, but in order to be truly effective we need to take care of ourselves. Adopting these strategies will help you be healthier, happier, and more balanced.
What are your tricks for staying healthy? Share your thoughts in the comments below.